Sunday, February 12, 2023

Late Winter on the Farm

Mt. Baker Sunrise

It has been a while since my last post. Living off the grid, electrons are scarce this time of the year in this northern latitude. This winter has been a time for contemplation and planning. After nearly a year, I am finally able to get a storage unit so I can move my worldly goods to the island. I hope to get the last load moved this week. 
Winter has also historically been a time of survival. While not quite as extreme as in earlier days, when the infrastructure we are surrounded with today was not available, it is still a challenge to live this close to nature. 
There are many benefits too. I personally have found that my body has changed in subtle ways. I am more adapted to being out in the cold. I found I needed to eat more calories to keep the weight on and the internal furnace stoked. It was also a challenge to stay awake once the sun set. Around here about the time of the winter Solstice, that is around 4:00 in the afternoon. Mealtimes shift with the light as well, for both animals and humans. 
While sometimes it can be tough, I am enjoying this life. It certainly makes one feel alive and connected to nature. 


The animals on the farm know how to endure. We have lost a few rabbits in the Rabbitry this winter and a few chickens to hungry predators. Raccoon, mink, owls, and Bald Eagles take their toll on the flocks no matter how well we try to protect them. We have to balance the quality of life of the animals with protection from predators. It is a challenging balance to achieve. 
We have added another small flock of chickens to the collection this year. They are a beautiful bunch. Here is the rooster, Bruno, with Graylight, one of his hens.

Bruno


Graylight

I have a lot of exciting plans in the works for this spring. I have spent part of the winter studying with an herbalism school and am putting in a medicinal herb garden. I plan to start a YouTube channel soon to document not only the herb garden, but the many things we do in the garden and for the seed bank. 
I am slowly picking up my sketchbook again and have plans for plein air painting and creating a studio tent to set up a still life or two. 

There is also a new farm puppy to paint!
Cayenne!


It will be a busy year with the current events in the world adding that much more urgency to our goals.
It is time to feed the rabbits for the day and get everything buttoned down before dark. We have another cold snap on the way but spring is definitely coming!

Yours in Truth and Beauty, 
-Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment